Thursday 1 August 2019

Absence makes heart grow fonder of Roughriders game day

Hanging with Brendon LaBatte after the 2018 Labour Day Classic.
    For the first time this season, I am finally going to make a Saskatchewan Roughriders game day.
    Since returning to Saskatchewan to live in Saskatoon in the summer of 2014, I have tried to make as many Roughriders home games as possible. This year has been one of those years where the team’s home dates have conflicted with other things on my schedule.
    It feels like I might be lucky to make it to three home games this season. I haven’t made a Roughriders home game since last year’s Labour Day Classic.
    Today, I will depart Saskatoon and make the trek down Highway 11 to Regina as the Roughriders (3-3) host the Hamilton Tiger-Cats (5-1) at Mosaic Stadium at 7:30 p.m. Saskatchewan time. Once I start making that journey, I know I will become jumpy with excitement.
The Roughriders Pep Band performs at the party in the park last season.
    I wasn’t able to head out to any of the Roughriders first three home games due to scheduling conflicts. When the Roughriders held their first two home games in early July, I was covering the Saskatoon Valkyries 9-0 Western Women’s Canadian Football League championship campaign to a conclusion.
    My energy was focused on the Valkyries, and I won’t trade that moment in time for anything.
    When the Roughriders downed the British Columbia Lions 38-25 at Mosaic Stadium on July 20, I was attending Donn Clark’s celebration of life in Kelvington, Sask.
The Mosaic Stadium crowd cheers a Roughriders touchdown last season.
    In that case, the Roughriders game was secondary, when it came to paying my respects for an old friend, who is best remembered for his time in the WHL as a player, coach and executive with the Saskatoon Blades and Prince Albert Raiders.
    I have focused on taking care of things in my personal life I have been putting off in the present time, but my schedule broke allowing me to be able to attend tonight’s game.
    I have a general admission ticket to Pil Country, which seems fitting considering that is the party section. 
Mosaic Stadium is an amazing sight.
    During the 10 years I lived in Medicine Hat, Alta., from 2004 to 2014, I gained a new appreciation in going to Roughriders home games, because I was going for the party and to enjoy myself.
    With that focus, I found I was able to enjoy Roughriders games, even if they played one of their classic stinker type contests. As a fan, you have to know you are in for at least three of those a season, even when the Roughriders are good.
You have to love the fans that come dressed in costume.
    There were times I might make just two games a year during my time living in Medicine Hat, so I tried to ensure the experience would never be dampened.
    Looking back, Roughriders home games were likely at their party peak in the era from 2005 to 2013, with 2007 and 2008 being the high-point years. During the 2007 and 2008 seasons, it seemed like every Roughriders home game was a Labour Day Classic type game with the atmosphere.
    Roughriders games are one of those things I prefer to attend as a fan. I have worked a home game here and there in the media world, and I worked the team’s last two training camps in Saskatoon for The Canadian Press. I have enjoyed that experience.
    I find it better being in the stands as a fan during Roughriders games. I try to reserve those games as my chance to go out and cheer and just be a fan at a game.
    That feeling goes to the fact there was a period of time from 2004 to 2014 that it always seemed I had a number of friends on the team who were players. Often, I had gone to school with those friends who were players during the years I attended the University of Regina and was involved with the Rams football team.
The Roughriders Drum Line does their thing.
    There were a few times after Roughriders games I would head out to a social function with those friends, and those times were so enjoyable for me.
    On that note, it will be cool to see punter and Rams alum Jon Ryan play live in a game for the first time since 2005, when he was with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. From 2006 to 2017, Ryan played 12 seasons in the NFL split between the Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks.
    Offensive lineman Brendon LaBatte is the another friend I have on the current Roughriders team that is a Rams alum.
    Outside of Ryan and LaBatte, the only member of the Roughriders I know decently well is long snapper Jorgen Hus,who is an alum of the CJFL’s Saskatoon Hilltops and the Rams.
Game action viewed from Pil Country in 2018.
    When I moved back to Saskatchewan in the summer of 2014, I found another joy in heading to Roughriders games. I was able to make games on a more regular basis, and I got to know a number of the regular fans in the stands.
    So far this season, I would see pictures on social media from those regulars, and that made me miss being at games.
    Tonight, I am looking forward to seeing a number of old friends in the stands. Actually, I one of those that could go watch any CFL game in any stadium and enjoy it.
    On the field, I can’t wait to see how Cody Fajardo, who took over as the team’s starting quarterback, looks on the field live in person.
All smiles after a Roughriders win last season.
    It will be fun to do something familiar and will bring back great memories of the past. Win or lose, I will have a great night, but with that said, here is hoping the Roughriders win.

    If you have any comments you would like to pass along about this post, feel free to email them to stankssports@gmail.com.
-------
    If you like what you see here, you might want to donate to the cause to keep independent media like this blog going. Should you choose to help out, feel free to click on the DONATE button in the upper right corner. Thank you for stopping in.