Saturday 14 December 2019

Bears’ Herner aims to top sister she idolizes

Jessie Herner has anchored the Bears defence.
    Jessie Herner never had to look far to find her hockey hero.
    Growing up in Kindersley, Sask., Jessie always wanted to be like her older sister Kori, who is seven years Jessie’s senior. Jessie discovered her passion for the game by going to rink to see Kori play.
    “I followed my older sister Kori,” said Jessie. “I used to watch her, when I was younger.
    “I just wanted to be like her.”
    Jessie was able to make it to the rink to see Kori play for the Saskatoon Stars of the Saskatchewan Female Midget AAA Hockey League for two seasons from 2011 to 2013 and for the University of Saskatchewan Huskies women’s hockey team for five campaigns from 2013 to 2018.
    These days, Jessie is a sturdy 17-year-old defender for the SFMAAAHL’s Prince Albert Northern Bears. On Saturday at Merlis Belsher Place, she had her team’s winning goal and an assist as the Bears downed the host Stars 4-1 in a regular season clash.
    Kori is now one of the 24-year-old assistant coaches with the Stars.
    Jessie is skating through her fourth full season in the SFMAAAHL spending her rookie campaign in 2016-17 with the Battlefords Sharks before joining the Bears.
    When it comes to playing the game, Jessie has a confident admission when it comes to grading where she is at compared to Kori.
Jessie Herner, left, battles for a puck in the corner.
    “I loved watching her,” said Jessie, who stands 5-foot-4. “I always wanted to be like her, but I know I am a better hockey player than her now.”
    With that said, Jessie saw what could be accomplished in hockey by following Kori’s career. Jessie was in the ancient Rutherford Rink on March 2, 2014, when the Huskies won a series deciding Game 3 of the Canada West championship series 2-1 in double overtime against the University of Regina Cougars.
    That victory came in Kori’s rookie year with the Huskies.
    “It was awesome seeing her win something like that,” said Jessie. “She was my idol out there, so I loved watching her.
    “Now that she is done, I get to play against her now, so that is also pretty cool.”
    During the summers, the two were often together on the softball diamonds in Kindersley and area. Kori often coached the teams Jessie pitched for.
    “We won two provincial titles together, so that was pretty cool,” said Jessie. “For her ball team, I play up with her sometimes.
Jessie Herner had a goal and an assist for the Bears on Saturday.
    “I was the bat girl when she was with Unity, when they won the one year.”
    Coming up through the minor hockey ranks in Kindersley and area, Jessie played hockey in boys leagues until her first year of bantam hockey, when she suited up for the West Central Wheat Kings girls’ team.
    Jessie said she still carries friendships from her time in boys’ hockey into the present day.
    “You are always with your best friends every day, and you start playing with the boys,” said Jessie. “I was with one of my best friends Ty Bahm.
    “He plays for the (Prince Albert Midget AAA) Mintos now. I was always with him, and we just had a good time together.”
    Jessie enjoyed all the friendships she has made in hockey throughout the years. A number of friendships were formed from attending tryout camps for various Saskatchewan provincial teams.
    At age 14, Jessie figured she had to play in Saskatchewan’s female midget AAA league, if she was going to move on to skating in the post-secondary ranks. When the chance came to join the Sharks, Jessie took it.
    “I was pretty nervous to move away,” said Jessie. “I was also excited, because I got to live with Kori that year in Saskatoon.
Jessie Herner has been solid for four SFMAAAHL seasons.
    “I just knew that if I wanted to get somewhere I needed to start moving on and not staying at home. I needed to get somewhere where I could be shown out there.”
    Jessie lived with Kori in Saskatoon and commuted up to Battlefords to play for the Sharks. As a 15-year-old sophomore in 2017-18, she elected to join the Bears, who entered that campaign as the defending SFMAAAHL champions.
    During that first campaign with the Bears, Jessie continued to live with Kori in Saskatoon and commuted up to Prince Albert to join the Bears.
    Jessie lived with a billet family for half of last season in Prince Albert, and is staying with a billet family through to the end of the current campaign.
    During her time in the SFMAAAHL ranks, Jessie believes she has grown as a player.
    “I’ve improved a lot over the last four years I’d say,” said Jessie. “My first year I was a little shaky out there, because I was one of the youngest girls out there.
    “This year, I’ve just brought my confidence right up, and I’m feeling really good.”
Jessie Herner will join the U of Saskatchewan Huskies next season.
    Next season, Jessie will continue to follow in Kori’s footsteps and join the Huskies in the U Sports ranks.
    “I wanted to stay close to home,” said Jessie. “I knew Kori was once here, and she loved it.
“I thought I would follow her and try it out.”
    Before she joins the Huskies, Jessie is looking forward to suiting up for the Bears as the host team for the Esso Cup female midget AAA national hockey championship tournament. It runs in “Hockey Town North” from April 19 to 26 in the new year.
    “It is just bringing us all closer together,” said Jessie. “We’re just building up to be ready for that and show that we’re actually a team that deserves to be there.”
    Against the Stars on Saturday, the Bears jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the first period. Emma Tremblay, Paris Oleksyn and Taylor Leitch all had singles along with Jessie.
    Sydney Mercier replied for the Stars in the third.
    Janae Neufeld made 22 saves to pick up the win in goal for the Bears, who improved to 8-6. Kaitlyn Cadrain started in goal for the Stars turning away 6-of-10 shots in the first period.
    Arden Kliewer played the final two frames in relief stopping all 23 shots sent her way. The Stars fell to 5-8-2.
The Bears celebrate their win over the Stars on Saturday.
    The Bears and Stars go at it again on Sunday at 12:30 p.m. at Merlis Belsher Place.

    If you have any comments you would like to pass along about this post, feel free to email them to stankssports@gmail.com.
-------                                     
    If you like what you see here, you might want to donate to the cause to keep independent media like this blog going. Should you choose to help out, feel free to click on the DONATE button in the upper right corner. Thank you for stopping in.