Wednesday 29 January 2020

A big mental health challenge is learning to take a break

Picture after finishing up work in the SaskTel Centre press box.
    In the current day and age when the pressures or time seem to get continually stressed, it seems tougher to disappear and take a break.
    Eventually, everyone, even those that see themselves as being healthy, need to say “No” to life’s stresses and take a break. When you come to think about it, they will always be there.
    Since 2012, I have known I have battled with issues dealing with anxiety. Actually, I have to admit I see myself doing a lot better on that front than I did five years ago or even last year.
    Still, there is still a stigma around mental health issues, and they are unfortunately still treated as the elephant in the room in too many circles.
    I write about my experiences on the mental health front in hopes it will help others. Since 2016, I’ve kept up with a tradition where I write a post regarding mental health on Bell Let’s Talk day.
    While I view myself as being a lot more healthy in the current day than I have even just a few years ago, I find I can accidentally fire off my anxiety, if it looks like I am going to bite off more than I can chew.
A Bell Let’s Talk toque with sports items I have collected over the years.
    One of the problems I have is saying “No” when people present projects to me. Being a freelance sportswriter and photographer by trade, my first thought about when I am presented an opportunity is figuring out how to make it fit into my schedule.
    Often, the opportunities first come when the schedule is light, and I figure I can let other things I need to tend to in my life slide in order to complete the obligations of an opportunity that comes up.
    With all that said, it seems when opportunities come they come in bunches and from all sorts of directions. Often, I will try and satisfy everyone, which all of sudden crowds my schedule too much and gets the heart racing about the future.
    Ultimately, a time will come when you have to step back and call for a “timeout.”
    You have to realize there are only a certain amount of hours in a day, and even the best time managers and multitaskers reach the limits of what they can do.
    What even makes things that much more difficult in my life is the fact I live a life where I work in the sports and media world.
When you cover sports events like WHL, it becomes a lifestyle.
    Those worlds are not an environment where you work 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and come home and watch television or play on Youtube the rest of the night.
    When you work and are involved in the sports and media worlds, it is lifestyle. There is no hard line between being what most regard as at work or off.
    The rare times you go catch a movie or go for dinner at a nice restaurant would likely be some of those slim moments where you are “off.”
    For me, it feels like 80 per cent of the world doesn’t understand this lifestyle, so that can be a battle too.
    One of the pluses I find from the opportunities that have come my way is the fact lots of them over the past year have come from old friends and people I have known for a long time. A lot of times, you don’t want to say “No,” because you fear you are going to let someone down.
    Over the past year, two of the most cool opportunities that I took advantage of came during the Prince Albert Raiders run to winning the WHL title and appearing in the CHL championship tournament, - the Memorial Cup – last May.
I was happy Darryl Leason took this photo of me interviewing his son, Brett.
    I got to write articles for the Prince Albert Daily Herald for the special section that outlet put out on the Raiders going to the Memorial Cup. The Daily Herald is employee owned, and I love crew there.
    I worked as a sports writer for that outlet from 2001 to 2004, and it ended up being more special than I thought being back in the Daily Herald’s pages again.
    Before last May, I also penned a reflection piece on my time at the Daily Herald as part of the publication’s 125th anniversary.
    The other opportunity from the Raiders WHL title run came from Peter Robinson getting back in touch with me. I hadn’t talked to Robinson for some time, and he oversees the creation of various publications for the CHL.
    He asked me to create the Memorial Cup program article on the Raiders, and that was a huge thrill. I enjoyed working with him again.
    Most recently, I agreed to become the communications coordinator for the Gordie Howe Sports Complex. I am still getting used to the ropes there, but they have a good bunch there.
Pictured with the Bell Let’s Talk toque at U of Saskatchewan.
    I am still finding time to pen some stories for the Davidson Leader too.
    As the last 12 months progressed, things just added up. Over summer I had to attend to a number of things in my life outside the sports and media world that I pushed off and had to be addressed.
    That came on the heels of what was a busy and fulfilling hockey season.
    Working on the items I needed to attend to bled into a very busy football season covering the CJFL’s Saskatoon Hilltops and the University of Saskatchewan Huskies football team in the U Sports ranks.
    When December 1, 2019 hit, I was complete drained of energy.
    I felt bad that with my brain in a state of mush that two great guys in Dan Senick and Cam Hutchinson came to me about helping them with the Davidson Leader. My mind was super clouded, and later on, I realized I couldn’t give them as big of a commitment as they hoped.
    It ended up being a much smaller commitment than they hoped. I felt bad letting them down on that front, but I felt it was the better decision for me.
    I am finding when I do say “no” to projects that people seem to be more understanding about it than I realized.
    Still, there were a number of things I wanted to cover last December, and I hit those things. When the new year hit, I finally took a break from producing anything for this blog.
    During the break, I went and saw “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” twice because I enjoyed it. 
I love working at the sports venues, but I realize it is great to take breaks.
    I think I settled my mind enough that I became comfortable in the decisions I made on what projects I took on and what I didn’t take on.
    It felt way better than I thought it would when I took my break. In the future, I will definitely look for windows to do that again, when I need to do it.
    I learned taking a break was good for me.

    If you have any comments you would like to pass along about this post, feel free to email them to stankssports@gmail.com. My Bell Let’s Talk post from last year called “Those facing mental health challenges can still be great in all parts of life” can be found right here. A piece from 2018 called “Being content can become a mental health challenge” can be round right here. A piece from 2017 called “Recognizing and respecting triggers is key for mental health” can be found right here. A piece from 2016 called “Feeling connected calms the mental health seas” can be found right here. A piece called “My Mental Health Story” can be found here. Another post I like that I wrote in February of 2015 about my mental health journey call “Huskies hockey was good for me” can be found here.
-------
    If you like what you see here, you might want to donate to the cause to keep independent media like this blog going. Should you choose to help out, feel free to click on the DONATE button in the upper right corner. Thank you for stopping in.