Sunday 15 March 2020

Feeling an awful squeeze due to COVID-19 scare

One of the final recreation hockey games at Merlis Belsher Place.
    It feels like society is coming apart over the conoravirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
    Any time there is a new cancellation, postponement or measure enacted to try to curve the potential spread of COVID-19, it seems to trigger another round of panic.
    I myself feel like I am getting more and more unnerved.
    Of course, my life revolves around the sports world, especially the local sports world. I cover it on my blog and for various media outlets on a freelance basis.
    Since the start of January, I have served as the communications coordinator for the Gordie Howe Sports Complex.
    At the moment, the sports world is basically shut down. Even checking on Instagram today to find out Merlis Belsher Place would be closing on Monday almost created a panic attack.
    Just back on February 29, I covered the University of Saskatchewan Huskies men's hockey team winning a Canada West Conference title in that building.
    Another scare came from hearing Canadian Hockey League teams are sending their players home before travel bans become even more of a worry. The WHL’s Saskatoon Blades and Prince Albert Raiders both announced on Sunday they were sending their players home.
Most sports venues in Saskatoon sit empty.
    I am in my comfortable spot when I am interacting with the sports world or I am at a facility be it an arena, football field or court. At the moment, all of that has been taken away, and it makes me sad.
    I almost feel like I have to put in work to avoid depression.
    I have had many moments where I have fought off the feeling of being flat out scared.
    Early last week, I personally thought all the reaction to the coronavirus scare was overreaction. I believe it is something that needs to be taken seriously.
    I still think an overreaction has occurred, but that thought doesn’t amount to anything.
    When the NBA suspended play on Wednesday, that seemed to be the moment when the dominoes really started to tumble to bring the sports world to a halt.
    The powers that control the rest of the world are bringing in clamp down after clamp down. Basically, the horse has left the barn on that front, and all anyone can do is try to take a deep breath and react to the next seemly inevitable change that is about to come.
    Introverts might be good with the concept of social distancing.
    My gut feeling is this will be a struggle for most people. For myself, the idea of not having face to face social encounters is terrifying.
The players of the Raiders and Blades have been sent home.
    I still find in person encounters are the best way to establish connection and community, where messages passed in electronic form can be twisted in interpretation.
    I almost don’t want to check social media. I find there are extremes where some people think COVID-19 shouldn’t be a worry to others who believe the world is going to end tomorrow or a significant portion of the population is going to die.
    It feels like society is being squeezed. I believe I am not the only one that feels this way.
    On Saturday night, I went out to Outlaws, which a Saskatoon nightclub hotspot, and I encountered a tonne of people who felt squeezed too. Everybody who was out that night treated each other super well.
    It felt good just to go out and have a party and feel a release. It seemed everyone that was there was happy to just be having a good time.
    For at least a few hours, the worries of what was happening in the world were in the background of the mind.
I rarely take pictures at Outlaws, but it was great to see everyone have fun.
    Even when I work up this morning, it was great to see a number of social media posts from the fun skate the Prince Albert Northern Bears female midget AAA hockey team had in “Hockey Town North” on Saturday night.
    It is comforting to know you can still find upbeat social media posts that are a pick me up. It feels like it takes extra work to find them.
    I wonder when the world will get back to being normal. I can’t wait to get back to a sports venue to cover an event again.
    I know things are on hold to allow the medical experts to get a handle on COVID-19.
    I know it has been speculated that issues relating to liability and insurance have played a part in why the shutdowns have occurred in every walk of life. I believe those speculations have merit too.
    Organizations like Hockey Canada put sizable resources into risk assessment, and the experts working in that area in Hockey Canada do great work. I feel you have to lean to accepting their recommendations are right.
    Still, I am struggling with how the world has been since the start of Wednesday. I also have long stretches where I will be doing great.
The Huskies winning the Canada West title on Feb. 29 seems long ago.
    I had been thinking about typing this post for a couple of days just to put out how I am feeling. I think it helps me, and maybe it will help others.
    I figured this post would be a rambling one too.
    Even before writing it, I had to gather myself. I decided to work at the Starbucks just north of the University of Saskatchewan.
    I stepped into the store and was shocked to see all the tables and chairs pushed off to one side. I was told starting on Monday customers would only be able to go in for their orders, but wouldn’t be able to lounge inside the outlet.
    After a chat with the staff, I was able to calm down and get to work.
    I desperately want the freedom to see my friends and not to feel like I am being locked down.
    The only approach I can take is the approach I have been taking with life the last number of years. I just take things one day at a time.
    I try not to worry about tomorrow until the challenges of the current day are met.
I can’t wait to see everyone when the world is in a better state.
    I look forward to the COVID-19 scare coming to an end and being able to have the freedom to see you all again in a more joyful set of circumstances.

    If you have any comments you would like to pass along about this post, feel free to email them to stankssports@gmail.com.
-------                                     
    If you like what you see here, you might want to donate to the cause to keep independent media like this blog going. Should you choose to help out, feel free to click on the DONATE button in the upper right corner. Thank you for stopping in.