Monday 12 December 2022

Break time on here for catch up, Christmas and a break

I’m dressed in a signature look for Saturday’s WHL game in Prince Albert.
Just when I feel like I am getting back in my WHL groove, I am putting this blog aside for a bit to get a break.

It seems a bit weird to do this now. Due to the way life has dealt out the cards, I wasn’t able to get back into the WHL rinks as quickly as I wanted.

I got out to scout a game in Regina between the host Pats and the Everett Silvertips on Oct. 29. The next day I covered the PFC final between the Saskatoon Hilltops and host Regina Thunder at Mosaic Stadium, which was won by the host side.

I finally started covering WHL games again in November, and it felt outstanding to be back in the rink. I feel like I am in my good place, when I am covering WHL games, because I’ve had so many great experiences with that circuit covering it over a span of time that now stretches to 24 seasons.

With that said, I’ve been trying to get off the train for some time since the end of the 2021-22 campaign to get recharge time. I will still be around the WHL rinks, as I write columns for the Prince Albert Daily Herald, and I will still be busy with work at the Gordie Howe Sports Complex.

When I took a break from producing content for this blog back in July, I replaced with work on a special project I was doing. That special project was putting together a longer reflection feature on the Hilltops run of six straight CJFL title wins from 2014 to 2019 for the team’s first game program of the 2022 campaign. That feature also appeared on this blog.

The Hilltops reflection feature was fun, but transcribing the seven long interviews and crafting everything still took time to do. Plus, spring and especially summer are the busy times at the Gordie Howe Sports Complex, so I was putting in extra hours there in summer.

I didn’t really have any days that were like days off outside of a day here and there I just slept away.

At Mosaic Stadium for the PFC final on October 30.
The tough part about the sports world in Canada is no aspect of it gets the coverage it should outside of NHL hockey. When you are involved in sports in Canada, you are often always making decisions that come down to robbing Peter to pay Paul.

If you decide to do stories and cover games of one team, you have decided you won’t be doing stories or covering games of another team. You throw in juggling time where family needs you and all of a sudden you are wondering where weeks and months disappeared to.

Starting in August of 2021 when the Hilltops got back into action after the 2020 CJFL season was cancelled due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic that has gripped the world, I’ve been going non-stop. When the WHL returned to full regular season play for the 2021-22 campaign, I hit the ground running covering games from the opening night of the regular season on October 1, 2021. I also got in a handful of University of Saskatchewan Huskies events mainly games involving the football team.

When the sports world started to return to normal for the 2021-22 season, there were still no guarantees if seasons would play out. A year ago at this time, you needed to show proof of vaccination for COVID-19 to get into most sports facilities in Canada.

Outside of going to a wedding for my niece in early September of 2021, I avoided all big gathering events on the social front. The only big gather events I went to were the games I covered, and I got out to those lots.

There are times people are shocked to hear I haven’t been to a Saskatchewan Roughriders game since the Labour Day Classic on September 1, 2019, or since March 15, 2020, I hadn’t gone to events as a ticket buyer until I went to a WWE show at the SaskTel Centre this past October 2 or went to a smaller venue concert that expanded to a social night out this past November.

During the 2021-22 campaign, one of my main focuses was to not accidentally be the one that brought COVID-19 to a team I was covering, because you knew in that campaign a team would be shut down for two weeks. The WHL was pretty much all shut down for the first two weeks this past January, and it was due to multiply positive COVID-19 tests among the member clubs.

It is amazing how quickly people forgot those things were a reality. It has only been since the start of the current 2022-23 sports season where I have started to experiment with going out again to something that is not a sports event I am working in some capacity.

Any time spent with the Valkyries is always a fun time.
When the WHL playoffs started in April of 2022, I did get that feeling like everything was a grind, as I covered the Prince Albert Raiders and Saskatoon Blades going out in the first round. While WHL playoffs are life consuming, I had never felt like I was in a grind until this past season. That was a sign I needed a break.

Still, the train didn’t stop. I elected to cover the Saskatoon Valkyries as they went 7-0 and won the Western Women’s Canadian Football League championship. I hadn’t been around women’s sports as much as I would have liked since everything started up again.

The Valkyries have always been one of my favourite teams, and everything naturally clicks when I’m around them. I didn’t want to miss out when they returned to normal play.

In July, the Hilltops feature consumed my time. In August, the Hilltops started their 2022 campaign, but life threw a wrench in the path.

An immediate family member found out after a medical appointment in late August a surgery was needed right away, and that family member had that surgery in early September. Everything on that front was a resounding success, but that kept me stapled close to home for six weeks starting in early September taking on extra responsibilities.

Over that period of time, the extra responsibilities ate up the time I would have used on the sports front. When I was writing sports stories and columns, the task seemed to be harder than normal, which was another sign a break is needed.

In my home office, I have a stack of WHL game notes from last season, camera equipment I purchased that I need to test out and there a bunch of other catch up and clean up tasks I need to do. I am one of those persons that rightly or wrongly likes to get those tasks done before something becomes a need to do task where you have to drop everything.

I know there are people out there that never do catch up tasks until they are need to do tasks and that is fine, if it works for their lives.

My plan right now is to not return to this blog until the first week of January 2023 in the new year. I will still be writing WHL columns for the Prince Albert Daily Herald, so I will try to do teases from this blog to the Daily Herald pieces in between now and the first week of January 2023.

Tanner Molendyk is heading to the CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game.
On the Daily Herald front, I am still trying to figure out what I am going to say about the 9-0 loss the Raiders took on the chin at home this past Saturday against the Saskatoon Blades for my column this Wednesday. On the Blades front, they got more great news today as 17-year-old defenceman Tanner Molendyk was invited to the CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game set for January 25, 2023 at the Langley Events Centre in Langley, B.C.

Saskatoon born 17-year-old defenceman Caden Price, who plays for the Kelowna Rockets was also invited to the Top Prospects Game. Saskatoon area products in Riley Heidt, who plays for the Prince George Cougars, and Brayden Yager, who plays for the Moose Jaw Warriors, are both heading to the Top Prospects Game as well. Heidt and Yager are both 17-year-old centres.

Red Deer Rebels 17-year-old centre Kalan Lind from Shaunavon rounds out the Saskatchewan products heading to the Top Prospects Game.

Of course, Regina Pats 17-year-old phenom centre Connor Bedard will be the main showcase player for the Top Prospects Game.

On Saturday, it was cool to see Medicine Hat Tigers head coach and general manager Willie Desjardins record his 400th career regular season win as head coach of the Tigers, when his squad downed the visiting Moose Jaw Warriors 6-3 at Co-op Place. Desjardins is the first to record 400 regular season head coaching wins behind the bench of the Tigers.

While I will still be doing work for the Daily Herald and the Gordie Howe Sports Complex, I am hoping the break from this blog will give me catch up time and down time. I am also hoping to take part in more Christmas time gatherings. I am slated to go to one of those this coming Saturday.

With that noted, the time off from this blog will fly by, and it will be the first week of January 2023 before any of us know it.

For now as Winnipeg product and God of pro wrestling Kenny Omega would say, I must bid you all adieu.

Dressed up and looking good with the Hilltops mascot Topper.
I hope you all have a Merry Christmas, a Happy New Year and spectacular holiday season.

If you have any comments you would like to pass along about this post, feel free to email them to stankssports@gmail.com.

-------

If you like what you see here, you might want to donate to the cause to keep independent media like this blog going. Should you choose to help out, feel free to click on the DONATE button in the upper right corner. Thank you for stopping in.