Friday 6 October 2023

Raiders grads always leave part of heart in “Hockey Town North”

A team photo of the 1994-95 Prince Albert Raiders.
For most or almost all alums of the Prince Albert Raiders, “Hockey Town North” will always be a second home.

If anyone needs to be reminded of that observation, all you have to do is strike up a conversation with a Raiders grad about their time in Prince Albert. The memories start flooding back.

One of the eternally cool things I get to do in now my 25th season covering the WHL is talking to former players, coaches and staffers. The Raiders have such a rich history dating back to their inception as a junior A club in 1971 that there are endless cool old stories to tell about the team.

I was reminded of that when I worked on my retrospective feature on the 1994-95 Raiders for the Daily Herald’s WHL preview content leading into the start of the 2023-24 campaign. Since I considered that the best Raiders team that never won WHL or Memorial Cup titles due to coming up one win short of the Memorial Cup tournament, I approached doing that feature like an NFL Films missing rings episode.

This column of mine appeared in the Prince Albert Daily Herald. To read the full article, feel free to click right here.