Monday 2 August 2021

It’s rock ’n’ roll time

Bumps still expected in transitional sports season

Colin Plain sets to fire a pitch for the Saskatoon Cubs on Saturday.
It is easy to get romantic with sports.

Most of Canada likely had that feeling on Monday, when Canada’s Senior National Women’s Soccer team downed the United States 1-0 in a semifinal contest at the Summer Olympics in Tokyo, Japan. Jessie Fleming scored on a penalty kick in the 74th minute for Canada to account for the lone goal in the contest.

The win felt like redemption from when these two sides met in a semifinal in the 2012 Olympics in London, England, where the United States came away with a 4-3 overtime victory. That contest went to extra time after the United States evened the game late in regulation at 3-3 on a controversially awarded penalty kick.

Captain and all-time great Christine Sinclair and midfielder Desiree Scott are the holdovers from the 2012 squad that are still on Canada’s current roster.

Canada will now face Sweden in the gold medal final at 6 a.m. Saskatchewan time on Friday.

To get romantic about sports, you don’t even have to look overseas to do that. Sometimes, the romanticism is in your own backyard.

On Saturday at Cairns Field here in Saskatoon, the Saskatoon Cubs downed the Saskatoon Giants 4-3 in a really well played Saskatchewan Premier Baseball League contest. The two under-18 AAA sides showed how good that level of ball can be played in front of a gathering of about 100 spectators.

During the game, you could play in your head what each team could do to get runners on base, and then bunt and steal to get them home. The pitching and defence on both sides made the offences work to earn everything they got.

The Tigers team photo after winning the 2007 WHL title.
The sides met again on Sunday at Cairns, and the Cubs pulled out a 5-2 victory in that contest. Following that game, the Cubs sported a 26-6 record, and the Giants were a solid 18-13.

With that said, the romanticism in sport is only a small part of the game. It could even be as small as two per cent.

No one sees the hours of preparation and training the athletes put in at practice or the hours administrators invest in fundraising to keep teams going. At the professional level like the NHL and CFL, the whole business aspect that exists to make those clubs go is quite massive.

While the romanticism can give you those warm fuzzy feelings, sports is ultimately a business. In Canada, sports is not really that big of a business in the grand scheme of things unless you are the NHL.

From what I have been told, the sports industry in Canada is worth $2.6-billion. If anyone disputes that figure, I hope they feel free to pass on the source of what the correct figure might me.

On August 25, 2020, Forbes ran a column that said the sports industry in the United States is worth US$750-billion. The piece said the sports industry is the 11th biggest industry in the United States.

Of course, one will argue the United States has 11-times greater the population that Canada has. If you do the comparative math to make Canada’s population close to equal to that of the United States, Canada’s sports industry would be worth $29.7-billion in Canadian funds in that scenario.

Outside of the NHL, CFL or Toronto’s MLB and NBA teams, the success of sports in Canada depends on volunteers. Those that make a wage in the sports industry usually have to live with a partner, who has a career that makes $70,000 to $80,000 a year.

Let’s just say most won’t get rich working in the sports industry in Canada and will scrap to get by financially. The same goes for those that are left covering sports in the media industry.

The Raiders raise the Ed Chynoweth Cup as WHL champs in 2019.
Any of the last big salaried persons left covering sports in Canada’s media industry are being pretty much swerved into retirement.

To be realistic, you can be involved in sports in Canada, if you have some other way to make a healthy income to handle life’s financial worries.

In my family, there are a number of people who have been linked and involved in sports for a lengthy period of time. With that said, the vast majority of people in my family make their livings outside of the sports industry, and they don’t really know all the ins and outs of Canada’s sports world.

During the first seven days of September, I will be tied up with a big family wedding, and I will be humbled.

I’ve covered the WHL major junior hockey circuit in some form in each of the past 22 seasons. In some circles, that is a big thing, but I will run into lots of people at that wedding who won’t view it that way.

Actually, I worked for a few different places in recent years that aren’t linked to the sports world and often the vast majority of the staffers at those places don’t understand why you would go out to cover the Saskatoon Blades, Prince Albert Raiders, the CJFL’s Saskatoon Hilltops, the WWCFL’s Saskatoon Valkyries or the University of Saskatchewan Huskies Football and Men’s and Women’s hockey teams in U Sports.

Most staffers I encounter at non-sports workplaces view sports as a kids’ endeavor playing games and it is a waste of time to be involved in those worlds unless it is the NHL.

My two most memorable romantic moments in sports came from two WHL title wins separated by 12 years. The first was covering the Medicine Hat Tigers downing the Vancouver Giants 3-2 in double overtime in a series deciding Game 7 of the 2007 WHL Championship Series at The Arena in Medicine Hat. I covered that event for the Medicine Hat News.

The Hilltops celebrate winning the CJFL title in 2018.
The second came from covering the Prince Albert Raiders downing the Giants 3-2 in overtime in another series deciding Game 7 this time in the 2019 WHL Championship Series at the Art Hauser Centre in Prince Albert. I covered that event for this blog and The Canadian Press.

Only two WHL Championships series were decided in overtime in Game 7, and I was in the building for both of those.

Those two victories were life highlights. I have run into many outside of sports who don’t understand that.

In those times, it does put things in perspective that your role in sports doesn’t actually define you as a person, and your role in sports is something you do.

The long drawn out point is that to be involved in sports in Canada you have to want to be there.

As the world transitions to what is hopefully the end part of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, I believe I am at the point I am ready to get back in gear with this blog.

I am going to approach things cautiously. Due to the fact that exploits of sports in Canada aren’t covered anywhere near like they were in the past, I have felt at times I’ve accidentally tried to be all things to all people.

I plan to start out attempting to focus on the Hilltops and the WHL. I believe I might have the opportunity to cover both of those things outside of this blog too.

For myself, I believe those are two good starting points. 

Alex Eyolfson throw a pass for the Valkyries this past July.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, I have found for myself I’ve become a lot more jaded when it comes to dealing with people in general in all forms of life believing everyone is out for themselves.

I have tonnes of great experiences covering the Hilltops and the WHL, and I think that will help me be not as jaded.

I still will likely touch on U Sports, the Valkyries, the Saskatchewan Female Under-18 AAA Hockey League and the CFL. I am going to feel my way through.

For example, I am expecting  Zoom will still be a tool used in covering the happenings in the WHL and U Sports on the interview front. 

At the moment, most of the staffers at the University of Saskatchewan haven’t returned to work at the offices on campus.

I don’t want to overstretch myself, which has happened in the past. Often, I have found I’ve tried to have my blog make up for what is now no longer covered in the mainstream media on the sports front.

During the pandemic, it was also good for me to pick up another interest in following the theatrical sports entertainment happenings of professional wrestling in WWE and AEW. The escapism has been enjoyable for me.

On Saturday, the WWE released one of my favourites in Bray Wyatt, who also goes by a persona known as “The Fiend.”

Again, even that world has a big business aspect to it dealing with issues of contract sizes, character creative control and usage of performers. Wyatt was one of the WWE’s top merchandise sellers, but a departure after 12 years with that company still happened.

A collectables display of recently released WWE superstar Bray Wyatt.
The WWE has released a lot of talent since April, and it appears no one is safe there in a company that has billions in revenue. My figures are crossed that Alexa Bliss doesn’t get released, because I know I will get tuned out and disinterested at that point.

Overall, it is time to be back in business with this blog again.

As I do that, I will try to navigate this crazy world the best I can.

If you have any comments you would like to pass along about this post, feel free to email them to stankssports@gmail.com.

-------

If you like what you see here, you might want to donate to the cause to keep independent media like this blog going. Should you choose to help out, feel free to click on the DONATE button in the upper right corner. Thank you for stopping in.