Sunday 25 August 2024

Kukurudza sealing spot as prime time player on Hilltops’ defence

Saskatoon crushes Colts in Calgary 52-19

Kai Kukurudza (#73) is a mainstay at DE for the Hilltops.
Curiosity started Kai Kukurudza’s path to becoming a key playmaker on the Saskatoon Hilltops defence.

Growing up in Medicine Hat, Alta., Kukurudza first found his love of sport out on the ice surface with hockey. When the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic gripped the world starting in March of 2020, Kukurudza decided to see what life would be like on the football field and suited up for the Monsignor McCoy High School Colts in 2021. 

“I didn’t play until Grade 12,” said Kukurudza, who has become a standout defensive end for the Hilltops. “I played hockey my whole life.

“COVID hit, so I kind of took a break from sports and thought I’d try football out, and it went really well. I sent my film to ‘Sarge,’ and now, I’m here.”

Kukurudza enjoyed his one season of football so much that he didn’t want to give the sport up. He received some positive feedback which encouraged him to try to find a way to continue in the sport.

He knew about the Hilltops and their storied tradition in the CJFL. Kukurudza put together a highlight package of his rookie Grade 12 campaign and sent it off to legendary Hilltops head coach Tom Sargeant.

“I just want to go to a good program,” said Kukurudza, who stands 6-foot-4 and weighs 225 pounds. “I knew the Hilltops are good, so I’d give it a try.”

Kukurudza remembered how much he enjoyed playing his one season for the Colts, but he was hoping his lack of experience playing the game wouldn’t be a drawback to keep him from playing at the post-secondary level. He said he got into the sport for simple reasons and didn’t think things would grow from there.

“It was mostly just for fun, you know, hang out with my friends,” said Kukurudza. “I really kicked things off.

“I felt really good playing the sport and really comfortable. I had really good film. I remember ‘Sarge’ saying he didn’t know how good my opponents were, so he wanted me to come out and see how good I really was.

Kai Kukurudza (#73) only played one high school football season.
“I guess he liked me.”

Traditionally, the Hilltops haven’t recruited a whole lot outside of the province of Saskatchewan. Sargeant appreciated the initiative Kukurudza showed in emailing off his game film. The longtime Hilltops sideline boss was impressed with the raw ability Kukurudza showed on the footage that an invite was made to bring him to Saskatoon.

“We haven’t had a lot of players from Medicine Hat,” said Sargeant. “He sort of reached out to us, and I went through it (Kukurudza’s game film) and liked what I saw.

“I talked to his high school coach, and then he came out to a couple of our practices. I said, ‘You’ve got a spot on the team.’ I saw potential in him.

“Two and a half years later, he is in his third year now, we’re seeing the fruits of his labour in terms of how hard he’s worked, how well he’s learned from others and the good coaching he’s received from (defensive line) coach (Dave) Fisher. Now the sky is the limit, so let’s keep moving him forward.”

On Sunday at Shouldice Athletic Park in Calgary, the defending CJFL champion Hilltops jumped out to a 24-0 lead at halftime and crushed the host Colts 52-19 in a CJFL regular season clash. The win allows the Hilltops to improve to 3-0, while the Colts fell to 1-2.

When Kukurudza joined the Hilltops in 2022, he said he felt nervous mainly due to being on a team where he was surrounded by older athletes. In limited playing time, he recorded his first career quarterback sack in regular season play and was motivated to get bigger, stronger and faster for his second campaign.

Going into his second season with the Hilltops in 2023, Kukurudza said he had more confidence than he did going into his rookie campaign.

“It was a lot different,” said Kukurudza, who is studying commerce at the University of Saskatchewan. “I put on lots of size, probably 30 pounds or 40 pounds on.

Kai Kukurudza (#73) comes into to finish off a play in 2023.
“I was definitely a lot more comfortable. I think the coaches made me a lot smarter. I really understood the game and their schemes a lot better.

“I was way better.”

On August 27, 2023, Kukurudza had his breakthrough game with the Hilltops recording three sacks and three total tackles in 50-18 victory over the Calgary Colts at Saskatoon Minor Football Field. He finished the 2023 regular season with 13.5 total tackles, four sacks and a pass knockdown playing as part of the team’s defensive line rotation

In the Hilltops 53-2 victory over the Colts in the PFC semifinal on October 15, 2023 at SMF Field, Kukurudza showed he has the skills to be on the Hilltops hands team. When the Colts attempted a high and short onside kick to start the second half of that contest, Kukurudza astutely jumped up and secured the ball for the Hilltops.

“At the end of the day, the growth of Kai (Kukurudza) has been exceptional,” said Sargeant. “He’s worked real hard.

“He’s got himself bigger, stronger and faster. He has learned our systems real well. We’re excited to see him continue to grow and become more explosive with his playmaking.”

Kukurudza added it was pretty surreal to help the Hilltops win their 23rd CJFL championship in team history in 2023 and be part of a defence that gave up the team’s lowest points against total for the regular season and overall between the regular season and post-season since 1949.

Kukurudza came into the current campaign as one of the Hilltops starters. Over the team’s first two contests, he has recorded 10.5 total tackles, two quarterback sacks and an interception.

Kai Kukurudza (#73) field a short kickoff in the 2023 PFC semifinal.
The 20-year-old said he was able to collect his statistics thanks to the play of veteran defensive tackles Nahom Menghestab and Johnathon Stevens. Menghestab and Stevens are in their fourth and third seasons respectively with the Hilltops.

“It is so nice, because I know the guys beside me are also working just as hard, and it makes my job a lot easier,” said Kukurudza. “If I mess up, I know guys have my back.

“On that interior line with Nahom (Menghestab) and Johnathon Stevens, they’re pushing quarterbacks right back to me for sacks. Sometimes, I don’t have to work hard. My teammates really, really help me out.”

This season has been a little extra special for Kukurudza, because his younger brother Kash is a rookie defensive lineman with the team. Kash came to the Hilltops after graduating from the Medicine Hat High School Hawks Football Team, who are guided by their local legend head coach Quinn Skelton.

“I can’t be too hard on him (Kash), but I can’t cater to him either,” said Kukurudza. “I have to treat him like everyone else, but it’s good.

“I think he is lucky. He has a guy to learn from like me. I just want him to be as good as me or better.

“I just have to teach him right.”

In Sunday’s clash with the Colts, the Hilltops opened the game’s scoring with a 35-yard field goal from kicker Teijon Abel-Douglas in the first quarter. Before the opening quarter ended, Hilltops went up 17-0 thanks to a touchdown reception from receiver Datiel Fountaine and a receiving major from Corbin Ebben.

Kai Kukurudza (#73) has made big plays for the Hilltops in 2024.
In the second quarter, Ebben added a second pass reception touchdown catching a fake field goal throw from holder Drake Douglas to give the visitors their 24-0 edge at halftime. Ebben added a third receiving touchdown and Fountaine hauled in a second catch for a major to push the Hilltops lead out to 38-0 to start off the third quarter.

The Colts hit a 27-yard field goal before the third quarter ended to make the Hilltops advantage sit at 38-3.

Saskatoon got majors from an interception return touchdown from defensive back Nathan Young and 70-yard touchdown hookup through the air between third string rookie quarterback Charlie Molder and rookie receiver Hayden Day.

Veteran star starter Trey Reider and veteran backup Brexton Elias we well on the sidelines helping Molder out, when the first-year signal caller entered the contest.

Calgary got two touchdowns with a pair of two point conversions to round out their scoring for the contest in the fourth quarter.

The entire Prairie Football Conference that the Hilltops play out of now heads out on a bye week. The Hilltops return to action on Saturday, September 7, when they travel to Regina to face the Thunder (3-0) at 7 p.m. at Mosaic Stadium.

Looking forward to the rest of the campaign, Kukurudza believes his club can make a run to another CJFL title, but noted the Thunder and the Okanagan Sun, who are leading the British Columbia Football Conference with a 5-0 record, are having impressive campaigns.

“I think we have another shot for sure,” said Kukurudza. “Regina is definitely good.

“Okanagan is looking good too, but I think it is nothing we can’t handle. The offence is definitely stepping their game up. I think our defence is solid.

Kai Kukurudza (#73) with the D-line crew and the PFC title trophy in 2023.
“I have no worries. I’m pretty confident.”

If you have any comments you would like to pass along about this post, feel free to email them to stankssports@gmail.com.

-------

If you like what you see here, you might want to donate to the cause to keep independent media like this blog going. Should you choose to help out, feel free to click on the DONATE button in the upper right corner. Thank you for stopping in.