Monday 22 June 2020

Thankful to get out and ride

Appreciating activities you can do in COVID-19 world is good

Biking is an activity that always helps me clear my mind.
    In a current world that seems to be going crazy, it is always a huge pump up to be able to get out and ride.
    At least for me, it is always good to get out and ride one of my mountain bikes. I appreciate I can still get out and do that in this world that is gripped by the COVID-19 pandemic.
    Actually, I think it is healthy for anyone to keep enjoying activities they might still be allowed to do during this time. You might find a new appreciation for doing some activities you like you never had before.
    Of course when the shutdowns first started in North America around the dates of March 11 and 12, it might have been harder to keep up with doing activities you like. As reopening plans have rolled out in various parts of North America since the start of May, it might become easier to engage in activities you like.
    For myself living in Saskatoon, I could have started biking right when the shutdowns happened. I should note that through most of March and April I found it too cold to get outside and do that.
I enjoy biking along the Meewasin Trail in Saskatoon.
    I held off until May. My first medium length ride in May likely felt that much better than normal due to all that has happened.
    I actually have three mountain bikes stored at my place. One I am trying to get rid of at some point in time.
    I have a blue 18-speed I bought at Canadian Tire for $108. I use that bike when I decide to go to a store or even to go to a work place.
    I will ride that bike in all sorts of adverse weather conditions. If that bike ever gets damaged or stolen, it is not a big deal to go out and spend another $108 for a similar bike from Canadian Tire.
    I actually had the seat and tires stolen off one of those $108 bikes, when it was locked up at a store once.
    The third mountain bike is the one I baby and try to ride it when conditions are good. It is by far my best mountain bike.
    It is actually an old one too.
    Believe it not, I won that one during my University of Regina days. Back in 1999, I accompanied the U of Regina Cougars women’s basketball team to the U Sports nationals, which were held in Thunder Bay, Ont.
Me with the bike I won in 1999 pictured at my Regina home in 2000.
    At halftime of the tournament’s championship game that saw the U of Alberta Pandas down the U of Victoria Vikes 54-46, I banked home a half-court shot to win the bike as part of the entertainment of the festivities at that point in time. I sunk a foul shot too for five dollars, but that shot seemed to be forgotten along with the fact I rimmed out a three-pointer for $10.
    I only hit a half-court shot twice in my life, and one of those came in a packed Lakehead University gym.
    A family of diehard Cougars fans brought the bike home for me to Regina.
    I have used that bike out at the lake country Waskesiu in Saskatchewan and Elkwater in Alberta. While I haven’t done any rides at those locations this year, I find the lake rides give me my greatest sense of calm usually because nature looks so serene.
    Biking in Saskatoon is enjoyable too. I seem to get glued to the Meewasin Trail that runs along both sides of the South Saskatchewan River.
It is always a treat to bike at Waskesiu.
    There are a tonne of paths I still haven’t got to. I find biking is one of those things that clears my mind.
    It is an aerobic activity I never have a problem getting into. I find it harder to go on a long run.
    With that said, I know lots of people who love to go on long runs. In Saskatoon, you can do that too, so if you love doing that, feel free to get out and do it.
    When July rolls around, it seems everything is set to allow baseball and softball to take place on a house league level and city league level. While it sounds like the rules might be modified for the current pandemic time, I would say get out and play those sports, if you enjoy them.
    About two months ago, the prospect of any type of outdoor ball appeared grim.
    You also don’t have to rediscover sporting pursuits. If you enjoy doing things like playing instruments like the guitar or piano, these pandemic times provide opportunity to rediscover those pursuits.
    If you have a talent for artistic drawing, feel free to rediscover that gift too.
    At the moment, you can go out and see family or close friends in Saskatchewan, so spend an evening or two doing just that.
    If you like to take off and go fishing, feel free to do that.
I like to bike wearing jerseys of some of my favourite teams.
    These pandemic days have provided the chance to re-engage and rediscover pursuits you may have put aside.
    When you take the time to take those pursuits up again, you might rediscover some forgotten joys.
    If you have any comments you would like to pass along about this post, feel free to email them to stankssports@gmail.com.
------
    If you like what you see here, you might want to donate to the cause to keep independent media like this blog going. Should you choose to help out, feel free to click on the DONATE button in the upper right corner. Thank you for stopping in.