Friday 5 June 2020

Young ones leaders in protests against racism in Saskatoon

Protesters march at the “Justice for George Rally” on Thursday in Saskatoon.
    “I understand that I will never understand. However, I stand.”
    I wish I could say I thought that up.
    That is a message I’ve seen on a handful of social media accounts of young friends usually aged 18 to 24 over the last handful of days as protests against racism continue across North America and dare I say the world.
    The demonstrations were triggered due to the death of African-American George Floyd on May 25 after he was arrested by police in Minneapolis, Minn.
    Video of the arrest showed Floyd being pinned on the ground with a police officer identified as Derek Chauvin driving his knee into the back of Floyd’s neck.
Young adults made up most of the crowd at the “Justice for George Rally.”
    Four officers were fired over the incident including Chauvin, and at first, Chauvin, who is Caucasian, was charged with third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter over Floyd’s death. The charges against Chauvin were increased to second-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter on Wednesday.
    The three other officers - Thomas Lane, J. Kueng and Tou Thao – were charged with aiding and abetting second-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.
    Being a middle aged person who can get jaded from time to time due to seeing my share of bad happening to good people in this world, I thought this would be another one of those things that would blow over, which is awful to admit. I didn’t think it would get the momentum that it did.
Some of the protesters who took a knee at Kiwanis Park - North.
    That changed on Tuesday after I opened up my person Instagram account in the morning. The first thing I saw on my newsfeed was a post from Ryan Fontaine, who was a star goalie for the Prince Albert Northern Bears female under-18 team from 2015 to 2018.
    Her post was a blacked our screen with the hashtag phrase #blackouttuesday.
    The next thing that crossed my mind was, “Wow, I didn’t know she was engaged with that.”
    Right after seeing that posts, I saw similar posts from Parker Kelly, who is an alumnus of the WHL’s Prince Albert Raiders and forward with the AHL’s Belleville Senators, and Tristen Robins, who is a star centre with the WHL’s Saskatoon Blades.
A protester with a bike takes a knee at Kiwanis Park - North.
    As I continued to go through all my social media accounts, I found similar posts from current players from the Raiders, Blades, six time defending CJFL champion Saskatoon Hilltops, defending WWCFL champion Saskatoon Valkyries, members of various teams of the SFU18AAAHL, from the various University of Saskatchewan Huskies teams in U Sports and Saskatchewan based players who play in the NCAA.
    At that point, I decided to follow the lead of my young friends on my social media accounts hoping to be a show of support that they were doing the right thing.
Thursday’s “Justice for George Rally” in Saskatoon had a massive turnout.
    Clavet product Willow Slobodzian, who stars on defence for the Cornell University Big Red women’s hockey team, was constantly upgrading her Instagram story feed with education items regarding racism and news items about what various people were trying to do to address the issue.
    One of the best social media posts came from Jadyn Pingue, who finished up his five-year career playing linebacker for the Hilltops being named the CJFL’s most outstanding defensive player. On Thursday, Pingue, who is African-American, put together a well written post about black men building up other black men.
    The post included a strong portrait type picture of Pingue.

    I found out later on Thursday the care and passion for this issue wasn’t limited to young athletes on my social media feed.
The crowd at the “Justice for George Rally” begins to march again.
    At 6 p.m., I saw two different newscasts doing live video of a rally against racism, where everyone was gathered at Saskatoon City Hall. I decided to head downtown to check things out.
    When I got to downtown, I met up with the rally as it had moved to the Saskatoon Police Station. I was floored by how many people I saw.
    A couple of reports said the gathering included about 2,000 people, but it seemed larger than that. The next thing I noticed was how young the crowd seemed to be.
    I estimate that at least 95 per cent of the people at the rally were aged 18 to 24, and it seemed like a lot of those were U of Saskatchewan students and students from out of town universities, who were home for the summer.
Thursday’s “Justice for George Rally” contained a diverse cultural crowd.
    I noticed some in the crowd were members of Huskies teams. It was visible to see the crowd contained high school students too.
    I later found out the rally was organized by Braydon Page, who is an African-America young man, and the rally was called the “Justice for George Rally.”
    On a Facebook page, Page invited people from all cultural backgrounds to attend. Canada has had challenges to say the least with racism issues with First Nations, and there were a number of signs in the crowd that referenced that fact too.
    The crowd that gathered was as culturally mixed as I’ve seen from any gathering in Saskatoon.
The protesters at the “Justice for George Rally” near Saskatoon City Hall.
    The young ones were passionate too, and it was obvious they believed they could make a difference.
    They had a Kevin Garnett “Anything is possible!” feeling to them.
    It was a feeling I could relate to thinking back to my university days at the University of Regina from 1995 to 2001.
    Most in the crowd were wearing protective masks due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic that has engulfed the world and certainly North America since around March 11.
    The crowd knelt at the police station for eight minutes and 46 seconds, which was the time Floyd was pinned on the ground before he died.
The crowd at Saskatoon City Hall shouts a number of chants.
    The crowd proceeded to do a march looping south to Midtown Plaza before heading east on 22nd Street to Kiwanis Park – North. Saskatoon Mayor Charlie Clark marched with the young crowd too.
At the park, the crowd once again took a knee for eight minutes and 46 seconds.
    After that knee, the march returned to city hall, where the people took another knee for eight minutes and 46 seconds.
    The rally continued for a bit with speeches and chants including “black lives matter,” “I can’t breathe” and “no justice, no peace.”
At least 2,000 turned out for Thursday’s “Justice for George Rally.”
    The whole event was peaceful. The Saskatoon Police Service ensured streets were blocked off, when the crowd marched.
    A few police officers took a knee with the protesters at the police station. I think they came away being impressed with the youngsters too.
    When it comes to the issue of racism, it felt like the young adults and the teenagers that took part in the “Justice for George Rally” were the adults in the room.
    All of us in the older generations bluntly haven’t got the job done on this front, if the past two weeks have shown us anything.
    For myself, I am ill-equipped if I tried to put together a column regarding racial issues.
In Saskatoon, the young generation leads in the protests against racism.
    Back in my university days, I saw my friends from different races and cultures as buds. Looking back, I think I had a naïve quality that everyone would somehow live together in harmony.
    The protest that took place on Thursday night in Saskatoon was ultimately a civil rights type rally.      In my lifetime, that was the first time I saw one of those live and in person.
    It was cool to see the young people take the initiative to lead the way. The rest of us would be wise to follow.

    If you have any comments you would like to pass along about this post, feel free to email them to stankssports@gmail.com.
-------                                     
    If you like what you see here, you might want to donate to the cause to keep independent media like this blog going. Should you choose to help out, feel free to click on the DONATE button in the upper right corner. Thank you for stopping in.